DETROIT'S CYRIL LORDS like clean lines, the economy that comes with being a trio. But clean doesn't necessarily mean pretty. The band is a trim, mod-cut suit, sure, but the cuffs are scuffed and there's a little delta mud on the pant legs. When guitarist Marty "Mother" Morris sings, he's haughty, beleaguered and soulful, the rhythm section (particularly ever-comely drummer Mayuko, who's cooler than you) is taut underneath the scraggly guitar lines it's like the entire Cyril Lords song catalog exists in that ellipsis between the two melodies in the Yardbirds' "For Your Love." It's toe-tapping stuff to be sure; just ask Ginger. Here are Morris' monomanias of the week:
5. GOT A LIGHT? The Hindenburg disaster was probably not caused by a hydrogen explosion as generally believed, but rather by a chemical doping-compound covering the ship. The Zeppelin Company inadvertently stumbled upon the formula for rocket fuel and coated it over the doomed dirigible. Oh, the humanity.
4. MY LITTLE CHICKADEE: Milanesa Ranchera from El Rancho, Vernor Highway, southwest Detroit.
3. MY HIGH-SCHOOL BEST FRIEND: He's MIA in his own private war on drugs. Hello, wherever you are.
2. GHOSTBUSTERS: "Ray, the next time someone asks you if you are a god you say, yes!"
1. HUH? mon·o·ma·ni·a n. The Latin prefix, mono, translates as "one," and the Greek suffix, mania, translates as "craze." When combined, monomania is defined as "a pathological obsession with one idea." Not to be a stick in the mud, but isn't that antithetical to a top 5 list?
Appears Friday, July 8, at Pumpstock 2005 (Town Pump Tavern, 100 W. Montcalm, behind the Fox Theatre, Detroit; 313-961-1929) with the Sirens, Broadzilla and Grinder.Send comments to email@example.com
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Detroit Metro Times Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Metro Times Press Club for as little as $5 a month.