The term melodic hardcore has become a misnomer of late, with so many bands failing at either or both parts of that equation, often sounding like a pop-punk band in the midst of a weeklong meth binge, or Carcass doing Poison on mood elevators.
Bostons A Wilhelm Scream carries on the hardcore heritage of Beantown bands like Gang Green, with vocals that veer from Oi!-ish shout-alongs to impassioned singing reminiscent of early emo. While the rhythms are hardcore, the guitar sound harks back to the crispy, chugga-chugga of old school Cali punk. While many try unsuccessfully to blend such elements, A Wilhelm Scream finds the proper balance. We cornered singer Nuno Pereira for his five monomanias this week:
5. Road Buddies. Weve got some great tours lined up well be hooking up with Pennywise for the first time. I grew up listening to those guys they got me into this music; they were on repeat in the CD. And after that its Strung Out, who are a lot of fun.
4. Propagandhis new album. Its been in the works for a while. Im dying to get my hands on it. I think theyre the best band in the world. I listen to their records and learn what a shithead I am.
3. [Insert New Product Here]. The record just came out, and we just got our first-week numbers. Hopefully were on our way to MTV and million-dollar mansions. [Insert smirk here].
2. Is it 4:20? Weed is pretty constantly on my mind. Well, maybe not so much my mind I mention it to our tour manager, Ray, and he usually takes care of it. Hes our go-to guy.
1. Bleeding Red. Im pretty concerned the Red Sox only have a game and a half lead on the Yankees. That weighs heavily on my mind, particularly the bullpen and [Curt] Schilling.Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org