The 1980 debut from Detroit’s own Nikki Corvette amplified the girl groups’ boy-crazy side with the rambunctious spirit of punk and garage. A cult favorite obscurity (except in Japan) throughout most of the ’80s and ’90s, Corvette’s recently returned with a new record and tour. Here are her monomanias, likely written in sparkly pink ink with smiley faces dotting the i’s:
5. NEW RECORD: I’m super happy to have finally started recording again. Since 2002 I’ve released a single and two Japan-only albums, and now it’s time for Back to Detroit, my first record of all-new original material since 1980. It’s a blast to be back!
4. TOURING: I’m excited to be playing Japan, Australia and Europe this year. But when I hit the Blind Pig on 6/17, it’ll be my first gig in Michigan since the 1980s! Whoa!
3. UPCOMING PROJECTS: I love to work with other people, and have projects coming up with kindred spirits like Amy Surdu from the Gore Gore Girls and Yoshiko “Ronnie” Fujiyama from the 5678’s. I think I’m busier than I’ve ever been!
2. OBSESSIONS: I’m also more obsessive than I’ve ever been. Current passions include Hello Kitty everything, Diet Mountain Dew, MySpace (yeah, I know — don’t make fun of me) and hot-pink anything. That includes my car, my hair, my apartment, Sharpies, refrigerators, clothes, etc., etc….
1. CRUSHES: Best of all there’s boys. Boys, boys, boys! Love ’em, gotta have ’em! Topping the list of course is my imaginary boyfriend Viggo Mortensen. (Hi, Viggo! I’ll be home soon!) But I plan on meeting a ton of cute guys on my tour. You should come meet me too! Saturday, June 17, at the Blind Pig, 208 First St., Ann Arbor; 734-996-8555. With the Avatars, the Defectors and Nagg.
Saturday, June 17, at the Blind Pig, 208 First St., Ann Arbor; 734-996-8555. With the Avatars, the Defectors and Nagg.Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org