SASS is a monthly conceived of and hosted by Mike Servito and Nathan Rapport, two Dorkwave affiliates who wanted a gay night that was also everyone-friendly one that didn't pimp Cher and flaccid trance music exclusively. This month's event, "Jake Ryan," is named for that most inimitable of '80s dreamboats, and you can expect songs from that era alongside anything that's edgy, new, and sweaty. Here are Servito's vocoder-less monomanias:
5. Have you stopped loving me? Jake Ryan is the ultimate heartthrob; no one else will ever measure up. Your sister wants to do him he's masculine and drives a Porsche but your brother probably wants him too. Argyles and Izods are encouraged at SASS, in honor of Jake's egalitarian hotness.
4. Coitus Interruptus: Fad Gadget by Frank Tovey is Mute Records' new double CD/DVD collection of work by the late Frank Tovey. A pioneer and true visionary, Tovey influenced entire genres with his music and performance. Love Soft Cell? You'll love Fad Gadget more.
3. Tell me, am I getting in too deep? The Monroes' "What Do All the People Know" is a true '80s gem that everyone seems to forget about until they hear it. It's a perfectly constructed, era-specific rock jam and we love it.
2. Cyberoptix Design: Bethany Shorb is one of the fiercest creative forces working out of Detroit today. She makes our SASS fliers stand out, she's a mixed-media juggernaut, and can pretty much dominate in any given format. She's even half of Dethlab!
1. SSSSSSSSSSS: SASS, of course. It's a great night out for boys (and girls). Cocktails, dancing and an intimate evening with us never hurt anyone. Come see what all the fuss is about, or it might be you who gets your ass sass'd.
Sept. 23 at Oslo, 1456 Woodward Ave., Detroit; 313-963-0300.Send comments to email@example.com