Florida's Underoath exploded onto the metalcore scene in 2004 with They're Only Chasing Safety. The terrific Define the Great Line followed last year, and it added melody and more dynamics without sacrificing the intensity of the sextet's metal-hardcore hybrid. Nothing, however, compares to the band's writhing live performances. In anticipation of Underoath's upcoming Ypsi gig, keyboardist Christopher Dudley gives us his take on tour prep, Al Gore and an inconvenient poop.
5. A Two-Month Vacation I bought an elliptical trainer because I'm afraid I'll fall over and start vomiting during the first show if I don't do something. The Nintendo Wii is not as aerobic as I thought.
4. iPod Mix Here's my workout playlist: Tom Petty, Bedouin Soundclash, Acacia Strain, Blood Brothers, Converge, Foo Fighters, Hatebreed and Killswitch Engage.
3. Al Gore I would recommend An Inconvenient Truth to anyone, even if you don't like Al Gore. Just as a dude, I find him kinda creepy. But I was able to put that aside.
2. Inconvenient truths The American Enterprise Institute, an Exxon Mobil-funded think tank, is offering scientists $10,000 to write a paper against what the UN Climate Report is saying. It reminds of the tobacco companies back when we were realizing smoking caused cancer, but with cigarettes you only kill yourself.
1. Hide & Seek with Snoopy You can smell that my new beagle took a dump somewhere in the house, and now I have to find it.
Feb. 23 at EMU Convocation Center, 799 N. Hewitt Rd., Ypsilanti; 734-487-1849. With Taking Back Sunday and Armor for Sleep.
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org