Kurt Cobain faves the Melvins still rock. Here, leader King Buzzo burps up his Top Five Last Meal Requests from Death Row:
5. Robert Dale Conklin, 2005: Executed for stabbing and dismembering gay lover with a screwdriver. Filet mignon wrapped with bacon, shrimp sautéed in garlic butter with lemon, baked potato with butter, sour cream, chives and real bacon bits; asparagus with Hollandaise sauce; French bread with butter; goat cheese; apple pie; vanilla bean ice cream and iced tea. Last words: "Amen."
4. Charles Daniel Thacker, 2005: Executed for strangling and attempted rape of an elementary school teacher. Two double cheeseburgers, French fries, onion rings, fajitas, and two Mountain Dews, Coca-Colas and Dr. Peppers, guacamole dip with tortilla chips, four slices of pepperoni pizza, a chocolate chip cookie, two slices of double chocolate cake and two pints of ice cream. Last words: "I'm sorry ... I know God will forgive me" and "They couldn't find a vein on my arm."
3. Henry Lee Hunt, 2003: Executed for the contract killing of a man and a police informant. Domino's pizza with pepperoni, hamburger, Canadian bacon, sausage, onions, mushrooms and green peppers, and Coke. Last words: "It's a good day to die."
2. James Willie Brown, 2003: Executed for raping and suffocating a topless dancer. Foot-long chili dog with everything, French fries, dill pickle, strawberry ice cream and 7-Up. Last words: "No comment."
1. Anthony Johnson, 2002: Executed for the shooting of a jeweler. A prison vending machine sandwich. Last words: "I'd just like to say to my friends, I loved them."
Friday, Sept. 28, at Smalls, 10339 Conant St, Hamtramck; 313-873-1117.Send comments to email@example.com
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.
Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.
Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.