As I've intoned elsewhere, it's essentially ludicrous to try and hem the whole of a calendar year's released music into a quintessential list. These are just songs that stuck out for me, garnered the most replays and showed each artist at one/some of their personal best creative moments...
20. J. Walker & the Crossguards - "Driftin' Around" (Beehive)
19. Mic Write - "Tryna" (self-release)
18. Child Sleep - "Monster" (self-release)
17. 3FT - "Underground" (self-release)
16. Pewter Cub - "King Baby" (Bellyache Records)
15. Drunken Barn Dance - "Welcome College Town Revelers" (Quite Scientific)
Stream it here: http://ghostlysongs.com/track/NDYyNzY2LTIzOGYzYQ/
14. Wasabi Dream "Journey To The Center Of Your Mind" (self-release)
13. Lord Scrummage - "We All Need Honey" (self-release)
12. Flint Eastwood - "Secretary" (self-release)
11. Double Weirdo – "Tame Tame" (Runaway Records)
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at email@example.com.
Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.
Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.
Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.