Ron Carter in 2007.
Yesterday, the Detroit Jazz Festival
announced its full artist lineup at its annual preview luncheon, hosted at the Detroit Athletic Club. The festival already announced last month that the artist-in-residence this year is none other than legendary bassist (and native Detroiter) Ron Carter.
Featured at this year’s Labor Day Weekend event will be an eclectic array of performers across varied styles and generations from jazz legends, new artists to the scene and those at the height of their careers, once again creating one-of-a-kind performances not seen anywhere else.
Jazz Fest is always free, and always a worthy event.
Carter, who by the way is the most-recorded bassist in music history with more than 2,000 recordings to his credit, is the cornerstone of this year’s lineup and will perform four times throughout the weekend. In addition to his performances, other 2016 Homecoming Series Performances include:
· Kirk Lightsey and Louis Hayes - Homecoming Band
· Kenn Cox tribute with Special Guests
· Stanley Cowell Quintet featuring Billy Harper and Charles Tolliver
· David Weiss and Point of Departure celebrate the music of Detroit legends Kenn Cox and Charles Moore
· Charlie Gabriel Quartet
Other 2016 performers include:
· George Benson
· John Scofield, Brad Mehldau, Mark Guiliana
· Roy Hargrove with Strings
· The RH Factor
· Freddy Cole and the Detroit Jazz Festival String Orchestra
· Omar Sosa Quarteto AfroCubano
· Terri Lyne Carrington’s Mosaic Project
· Chris Potter Underground Orchestra
· Randy Weston’s African Rhythms & the Wayne State University Big Band – 90th birthday celebration!!!
· Ms. Lisa Fischer & Grand Baton
· Jason Moran Bandwagon Trio
· Roberta Gambarini and Jimmy Heath – Celebrating Jimmy Heath’s 90th
· Marcus Roberts Modern Jazz Generation
· Luciana Souza - Speaking in Tongues
· Alfredo Rodriguez Trio
· Harold López-Nussa
· The Soul Rebels
· John Abercrombie Organ Trio
· Vanguard Jazz Orchestra: Established by Thad Jones & Mel Lewis Celebrate 50 years at the Village Vanguard
· Gregoire Maret & the Inner Voice Ensemble
· Charnée Wade
· Herlin Riley Quintet
· United States Air Force Airmen of Note
Whew! To see the full lineup, visit detroitjazzfest.com