News & Views » Columns

Access denied

comment

Arnetta Grable wants justice. That’s why she publicly fired her attorneys for trying to force her to accept the $2.25 million the city of Detroit offered her and her family earlier this month to settle the lawsuit regarding the fatal shooting of her son Lamar Grable by police officer Eugene Brown.

Grable says she wants her day in court to bring to light a police report on her son’s case and three other shootings by Brown. Whether her action will lead to a trial is far from clear.

Brown has shot nine people during his six-year career, killing three of them. Deputy Police Chief Walter Shoulders and two commanders reinvestigated four of those shootings and issued a report last September. According to a Detroit Free Press story, Shoulders concluded that none of the shootings were justified. But the Police Department will not publicly release the document. And it seems that Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Isidore Torres, who is presiding over the case, won’t either.

“The judge would not give us Shoulder’s report,” says Sheldon Miller, Grable’s former attorney.

Torres did not return News Hits’ phone calls.

The trial, which was scheduled to begin Nov. 13, was adjourned when a court-appointed guardian accepted the $2.25 million on behalf Lamar’s two siblings and daughter.

“When he did that,” says Grable, “I fired both attorneys.”

Grable says she dismissed her attorneys because they did not object to the guardian’s acceptance of the settlement.

It is unknown what will result from the firing, but Wayne County Probate Court Judge Milton Mack could decide to approve the guardian’s acceptance of the money. A hearing is scheduled for Nov. 30.

Whatever happens, it seems unlikely that the public will ever see Shoulders’ report.

Ann Mullen contributed to News Hits, which is edited by Curt Guyette. He can be reached at 313-202-8004 or cguyette@metrotimes.com

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.