This dude Blueprint hails from Columbus, Ohio, where he started Weightless Records as a vehicle for himself and his Greenhouse Effect crew. Print has appeared on albums by Atmosphere, Murs and RJD2. But some of his best stuff still hasn't seen light of day. (He's mentioned the unreleased Orphanage album which features himself, Slug, Eyedea, Aesop Rock and Illogic.) Though he's been here and there for a decade, his debut solo full-length, 1988, came out last year. Like much of Blueprint's stuff, it summons old-school sounds of hip hop's golden age; he even tips his hat to such yesteryear linchpins as KRS-One, Doug E. Fresh and Stetasonic. Rubbery bounce and lean, laid-back rhymes key Blueprint's attack. Blueprint shares his most pressing monomanias with us while relaxing at home.
5. Crib Pimp: It doesn't matter what channel these are on, or what level of work you can actually do, home remodeling TV shows are the brand-new hotness.
4. Got Gas? Just when you think they're gonna stay down for a while they go back up again.
3. Welcome To Pro Tools U: The powers that be have decided that if you aren't computer-savvy you won't be able to make music anymore. Did you get the memo?
2. Endangered Species: Smoking is officially out of style. One day we're gonna look back at the time when people used to put smelly, cancerous sticks in their mouths and laugh.
1. Glitter up my ass: Seriously, who's buying all these damn Mariah Carey albums?
Wednesday, Jan. 25, at the Blind Pig, 208 S. First St., Ann Arbor; 734-996-8555, with One.Be.Lo. and Majestic Legend.
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org