Marijuana » Marijuana News

Marijuana edibles are sending more Michigan children to emergency rooms

by

comment
Marijuana edibles. - SHUTTERSTOCK.COM
  • Shutterstock.com
  • Marijuana edibles.

An increasing number of children in Michigan are landing in emergency rooms for cannabis intoxication after eating marijuana edibles.

More children are getting their hands on cannabis-laden lollipops, cookies, and gummy bears after voters approved the legalization of recreational marijuana in 2018.



In 2017, there were six reported cases of children ingesting edible marijuana. The number increased to 46 in 2018 and 59 so far this year, according to Michigan Poison Center data obtained by MLive.

Marijuana can cause severe reactions in children, including suppressed breathing, cyclic vomiting, dizziness, confusion, panic attacks, and hallucinations.



In February, 11 children between the ages of 5 and 9 were treated at an Ohio children’s hospital after eating cannabis-infused gummy bears at their elementary school. In September, nine students between the ages 10 and 12 were taken to the hospital after eating THC-laden sour candies.

In Michigan, edibles must be sold in child-resistant packaging that would not “appeal” to children. That means no cartoons, caricatures or toys. Experts recommend keeping edibles in a locked cabinet or box.

Stay on top of Detroit news and views. Sign up for our weekly issue newsletter delivered each Wednesday.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.