News & Views » Columns

State your claim

by

comment

The state of Michigan is going to have to get in line if it wants to recover the $5 million it doled out to the partnership that was operating the Central Wayne waste-to-energy incinerator in West Dearborn. With more than 200 companies already queued up, the wait could be a long one.

Last August the facility operator, Central Wayne Energy Recovery Limited Partnership, a pairing of Baltimore-based Constellation Power Source and DB Riley, a subsidiary of Boston-based Babcock Power, Inc., defaulted on $80 million in privately issued bonds and violated the terms of a $5 million state grant by closing before a 10-year operating obligation was met, according to the Ecology Center, an environmental group located in Ann Arbor.

The facility, which converted trash to electricity, is still closed. Trash that was hauled there goes to a landfill near Wayne.

The partnership filed for bankruptcy in December, but the Michigan Department of Environment Quality didn’t learn of that action until last month, according to DEQ press secretary Patricia Spitzley.

In the meantime, 222 companies are telling the partnership that they also want what’s owed them, according to the Federal Bankruptcy Court in the jurisdiction of Maryland. State officials are now scrambling to figure out what to do. The contract violation means it can file a claim to get its money and equipment back, but it has to get in line.

Spitzley says the state is attempting to determine if it can place a lien on the facility. The state has until June 30 to file a claim.

“If we can get our money back, that would be nice,” says Spitzley.

Now there’s an understatement.

Contact News Hits at 313-202-8004 or NewsHits@metrotimes.com

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.