News & Views » Columns

They doth protest

comment

So much for saying you’re sorry. Imam Husham Al-Husainy was in court last week to ask the city of Dearborn to drop charges against him. Seems Al-Husainy, who leads a congregation at Karbala Islamic Center, participated in a pro-Palestinian rally on April 14 that attracted about 4,000 people. After Al-Husainy addressed the crowd, a mayoral aide approached him, informed him that the protest was illegal and suggested he apologize to the police, Al-Husainy’s lawyer, Majed Moughni, tells News Hits. Al-Husainy was not an organizer of the event, says Moughni, but he willingly complied to show that protesters weren’t intentionally breaking the law.

Al-Husainy later got a summons to appear in court on charges of protesting without a permit. Two other men were also charged. They each face a $500 fine and up to 90 days in jail. In addition, the city is seeking $3,700 from the three to pay for police overtime. Mary Laundroche, Dearborn spokeswoman, says the event was the third in a month that lacked a proper permit. Police had to be pulled from other assignments to keep order along busy Schaefer Road. The rally was allowed to take place without incident or arrest. An investigation led police to charge the three alleged perps with misdemeanors.

Asked whether Al-Husainy would have been ticketed had he not voluntarily appeared at police headquarters, Laundroche says she didn’t know.

Dearborn requires a 30-day notice for protest permits, but will make special exceptions, she says.

Al-Husainy will not plead guilty to a crime he did not commit, says Moughni. “We believe it is unconstitutional for the city to have an ordinance that is so vague. He is charged with protesting without a permit. He did not organize this event. He did not know it was illegal. Does that mean everyone at the protest should have had a permit? Should there have been 4,000 permits?”

Lisa M. Collins is a Metro Times staff writer. E-mail lcollins@metrotimes.com

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.