'Care' building in downtown Detroit demolished after lawsuit

by

comment
The 'Care' building was demolished after a circuit court judge ruled it was a public nuisance. - RYAN FELTON/METRO TIMES
  • Ryan Felton/Metro Times
  • The 'Care' building was demolished after a circuit court judge ruled it was a public nuisance.

Two weeks after a judge agreed with the City of Detroit that the former home of AAA of Michigan should be torn down, most of the building has been demolished, according to The Detroit News

As Metro Times previously reported, the five-story, 5,800-square-foot building was the subject of a heated lawsuit that quietly played out last month in Wayne County Circuit Court. Judge Robert Colombo said the structure at 139 Bagley Ave., which was featured in a Kid Rock music video, has deteriorated to the point "a high wind can easily knock the east wall down ... and injure of kill members of the public." 



The owner, Triple-A Venture, immediately filed an appeal with the Michigan Court of Appeals and requested a stay of Colombo's order, which was denied last Friday. Hugh "Buck" Davis, Triple-A's attorney, tells Metro Times his client still plans to follow through with the appeal, but doesn't expect a decision to be handed down until next summer. 

In a counter-complaint, Triple-A's part-owner and decision maker, Anthony Pieroni, accused Detroit officials of engaging in civil conspiracy to coerce him into selling the property for at a lower price to a developer with plans to redevelop the adjoining Statler Hotel site, which was demolished in 2005. That counter-complaint was voluntarily withdrawn to allow Triple-A to file the appeal to Colombo's ruling.



Davis says today that, once a decision on the appeal has been made, Pieroni plans to file the counter-claim in federal court. 

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.