Looking for something to do this weekend? Each week this month, Preservation Detroit will host a tour of a different Detroit cemetery. The organization says a guide will be on-hand to talk about some of the famous natives buried in one of four city cemeteries: Mt. Elliott, Woodmere, Woodlawn, and Elmwood.
Tickets for $15 (members) and $20 (non-members) must be purchased in advance online, says Preservation Detroit, as no walk-up tickets available. Make note: These tours draw a crowd and, the group emphasizes, will sell out. The walking tours begin at 2 p.m. every Saturday this month, run three hours, and will take place rain or shine. The terrain's not the smoothest to walk, so make sure to bring a decent pair of sneakers. And, leave your cameras at home, as no "professional photography or tripods" can be used, the group notes.
Interested in a specific cemetery? Here's some additional details below:
- Mt. Elliott Cemetery Tour | 1701 Mt. Elliot, 48207 | October 4th @2pm
- Woodmere Cemetery Tour | 9400 W Fort St, 48209 | October 11th @2pm
- Woodlawn Cemetery Tour | 19975 Woodward Ave, 48203 | October 18th @2pm
- Elmwood Cemetery Tour | 1200 Elmwood St, 48207 | October 25th @2pm
- Woodlawn Cemetery Tour | 19975 Woodward Ave, 48203 | November 1st @2pm
For more info head to Preservation Detroit's site