- Frits Hoendervanger and his hyperrealistic oil painting, "Autumn's Passage." Hoendervanger is one of ArtPrize's two Detroit finalists.
Three artists from metro Detroit are among the 20 finalists picked by the public to win $200,000 at ArtPrize
, the "American Idol of art" that turns Grand Rapids into an art gallery on steroids
— and no, it looks like Jerry Vile is not one of them
. Frits Hoendervanger and Dominic Pangborn from Detroit compete for the Two-Dimensional and Three-Dimensional categories respectively, while Farmington's NewD Media competes for the Time-Based category.
Only six of the finalists are not from Michigan, and only one is not from the United States. The full list, with links to the artists' pages, are below. Voting continues through midnight on Thursday, and the winners will be announced Friday. As of the time of posting, 361,589 votes have been cast.
• Frits Hoendervanger | Autumn’s Passage
| Amway Grand Plaza Hotel | Detroit, MI
• Armin Mersmann | Gabriella
| Amway Grand Plaza Hotel | Midland, MI
• Sandra Bryant | Into the Autumn Woods
| DeVos Place Convention Center | Lynden, WA
• Gretchyn Lauer | Outcry
| DeVos Place Convention Center | Grand Rapids, MI
• Mark Middleton | Perspective
| The B.O.B. | Petoskey, MI
• Marc Sijan | Reciprocity
| Grand Rapids Art Museum | Milwaukee, WI
• Dan Heffron | Poseidon’s Paradise
| The B.O.B. | Manton, MI
• Dominic Pangborn | Michigan in Motion
| DeVos Place Convention Center | Detroit, MI
• Jilly Barnes | Engulfed in Glass
| Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum | Pentwater, MI
• Kroeze Krew | The Pond
| Amway Grand Plaza Hotel | Grand Rapids, MI
• Nathan Lareau | Urban Tumbleweed
| Cathedral Square | Grand Rapids, MI
• Liz Roberts | Always Nowhere
| Grand Rapids Art Museum | Delaware, OH
• Robert Shangle | Your Move?
| Harris Building | Sparta, MI
• NewD Media | Peralux
| Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts | Farmington, MI
• Carol Roeda | Color Out the Darkness
| Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum | Ada, MI
• Anila Quayyum Agha | Intersections
| Grand Rapids Art Museum | Indianapolis, IN
• Ryan Spencer Reed | Despite Similarities to Reality, This is a Work of Fiction
| Grand Rapids Art Museum | Ludington, MI
• Kevin Sudeith | Grand River Fish Petroglyph
| Grand Rapids Public Museum | Brooklyn, NY
• Dave MacKenzie | Breathe
| The B.O.B. | Spring Lake, MI
• Solo + Kojima | A Series of Handmade Japanese Paper Cut Sculptures
| Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum | London, Southwark'
In addition to the public vote, a jury will pick their own grand-prize winners. Grand Rapids area readers can check out a panel discussion, "Why These Finalists?" to be broadcast from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Oct. 6 and 7 on WOODTV-8
- Dominic Pangborn's "Michigan in Motion" earned him a the honor of one of ArtPrize's Detroit-based finalists.