Mark Hackel doesn't understand why officials celebrated the conclusion of Detroit's bankruptcy

by

comment
Mark Hackel, Macomb County executive - WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
  • Wikimedia Commons
  • Mark Hackel, Macomb County executive

Following U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes' decision to approve Detroit's proposed restructuring plan to emerge from bankruptcy, top officials involved in the process spent the better part of an hour congratulating one another on a job well done. 

That kind of attaboy! mentality carried over into the weekend, when one of the city's restructuring consultants, Conway MacKenzie, felt it was an appropriate time to take out an ad in the Sunday edition of The New York Times to tout the firm's services. The city, it's worth noting, reportedly paid Conway $17.2 million for its efforts. 



With that in mind, recently-reelected Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel has no idea why the moment was deemed cause for celebration. From The Macomb Daily

Hackel took issue with the lack of mention of those who were impacted by proceedings, specifically pensioners and suburban water users. Most Macomb County municipalities are hooked into the water and sewer system previously owned and operated by Detroit. They will now be serviced by the Great Lakes Water Authority, an entity that Hackel says was “forced” on the suburbs, which will have a vote on a regional board.

“It should be a lesson learned, not a celebration,” Hackel said of the response officials had to Rhodes’ ruling. “This was all contrived. A lot of people suffered as a result of this.”



We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.