Trial date for ex-Detroit narcotics cops accused of stealing drugs

by

comment
WIKIPEDIA
  • Wikipedia

A trial date for two former Detroit police officers accused of stealing drugs, extortion, and making false arrests has been scheduled for next month in federal court downtown. 

According to a federal indictment, the officers — Lt. David "Hater" Hansberry, 34, and Officer Bryan "Bullet" Watson, 46 —  began an alleged conspiracy in June 2010 that lasted through last October when they were suspended by the Detroit Police Department. The government says the pair set up bogus drug deals with civilians to rob them, carried out fake arrests, and stole money and drugs from individuals. Another former officer and two alleged accomplices have also been charged.



Hansberry and Watson were in court last month to be arraigned on on eight charges, including robbery conspiracy, intent to five or more kilograms of cocaine, and interference with commerce by robbery or extortion. They were released on unsecured bonds. The counts carry penalties ranging from five years to life in federal prison. 

In an order issued Thursday, U.S. District Judge Stephen Murphy scheduled a jury trial against Hansberry, Watson, Officer Arthur Leavells, and alleged accomplice Kevlin Brown to commence June 16 with jury selection. A cut-off for negotiated guilty pleas has been set for May 21. 



U.S. Attorney's Office spokesperson Gina Balaya declined to comment Thursday on whether the investigation into the narcotics squad has been completed.

"While the case has been scheduled for trial, it doesn't preclude more indictments or charges from being filed," Balaya told MT

FBI Special Agent David Porter also declined comment.

The feds last month revealed in court filings the breadth of evidence it has collected over the course of its investigation into the narcotics unit, which Detroit Police Chief James Craig disbanded las summer. Beyond a wiretap, the feds say it may use text messages, financial records, hotel records, social media records, photographs, and more as evidence.

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.