Despite Trump, General Motors stands by Mexican plans

by

comment
General Motors CEO Mary Barra. - PHOTO BY JEFFREY SAUGER FOR GENERAL MOTORS
  • Photo by Jeffrey Sauger for General Motors
  • General Motors CEO Mary Barra.
While speaking to reporters at the North American International Auto Show on Sunday, General Motors CEO Mary Barra defended the automaker's decision to produce a small volume of its Chevrolet Cruzes in Mexico.

“This is a long-lead business with high capital-intensive investments, decisions that were made two, three and four years ago,” Barra said, according to the Detroit News. “When you look at the Cruze sedan, the Cruze sedan for U.S. consumption is being built here.”



During his campaign, Trump threatened imposing a 35 percent tariff on vehicle imports from Mexico and has repeatedly badgered automakers who have Mexican production plants on Twitter. On Tuesday, Trump inaccurately tweeted a threat to GM for selling Mexican-made cars in the U.S.: “General Motors is sending Mexican made model of Chevy Cruze to U.S. car dealers-tax free across border. Make in U.S.A. or pay big border tax!”

In fact, GM builds the majority of its Cruzes — the popular sedan model — in Lordstown, Ohio. A small volume of its less popular hatchback version (2.4 percent of all Cruzes sold in the U.S.) are built in Mexico and imported because the profit margins on small vehicles are razor-thin.



Barra made the remarks at an unveiling event for the 2018 GMC Terrain, which she said will also be built in Mexico.

According to the Detroit News, Barra and Trump spoke following his GM tweet, but Barra declined to say what they talked about. Barra is expected to serve as part of an economic policy panel that will advise Trump.

Last week, Ford CEO Mark Fields announced the company will halt plans for a $1.6 billion Mexican plant to instead expand operations in Michigan, calling the move "a vote of confidence" in Trump. However, Ford is still moving its production of its small vehicles to Mexico.

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.