A week after Detroit police said they had caught a pair of "serial rapists"
they believed to be behind a series of abductions of female bicyclists, the department can only confirm that one person remains in custody.
A Detroit police spokesman says a 22-year-old man was charged in connection with the incidents and is being held on $1 million bond. The spokesman was unable to say what happened to the man in his 30s that police initially said they had arrested.
At least two men are believed to be behind at least three possible abductions and sex assaults under investigation by Detroit police. All three incidents happened between the Detroit-Hamtramck border near the Russell Industrial Center and Detroit's North End. Metro Times
has learned of two more attempted abductions of cyclists in the same area. All of the incidents occurred in September and early October.
Last week, when Detroit police said they thought they had caught their guys, one of the alleged victims took to social media to say otherwise. Since then, another victim has said one of her two abductors was involved in another incident and had been identified. The statements suggest at least one attacker may still be on the loose.
Detroit police would not confirm or deny this, saying the investigation is ongoing.
One of the victims has described both of her attackers as being black men between 20-28 years old. She believes one to be 6’2” with a baby face, and the other to be 5’8”, with dark skin and a shaved head or fade. The woman says the shorter man was also muscular with a prominent jaw line and a bit of facial hair. He had scars on his biceps and rib cage and was wearing a pair of cream and navy Vans at the time of the Sept. 30 assault.
At least four of the five women who have come forward to say they were the victims of an abduction or attempted abduction are blonde and in their 20s or 30s.
Further details on the incidents are available at the story links below.