MSU trustee: Engler's 'reign of terror' done as Dems take over board

by

comment
SHUTTERSTOCK
  • Shutterstock

Former GOP Michigan Governor John Engler's stint as interim president of Michigan State University could come to an end this week.

The MSU Board of Trustees is planning a Thursday special meeting at which it will likely consider his fate, the Free Press reports. Last year, Democrats and Republicans each held four seats on the board, but with Democrats holding a 6-2 advantage after the November election, it's very possible that it will move to remove Engler.



"John Engler's reign of terror is over," board member Brian Mosallam said. "Michigan State University will be returned to its people."
The board appointed Engler early last year after former president Lou Anna Simon stepped down amid accusations that she ignored warnings about Larry Nassar.

At the time, the board was split 4-4 among Democrats and Republicans, but Democrat Joel Ferguson flipped and joined Republicans to support Engler's appointment.



The news comes as Engler faces backlash over his comments about Nassar victims, who he said are "enjoying" the "recognition."

But that isn't the only time Engler has attacked victims of sexual assault. Last year, he accused a Nassar victim of taking kickbacks from a trial attorney. As governor, Engler fought hard against a lawsuit brought by hundreds of female inmates who had been raped by state corrections officers. Despite Engler's efforts, it ended in what at the time was the largest payout in state history.
Rachel Denhollander, the first victim to come forward about Nassar, tweeted a pointed response to Engler:

"Engler references survivors enjoying their time in the spotlight. You mean, like having to change the day I grocery shop so my 3 kids don't see a photo of their mom demonstrating what was done to her body?

Tell me more about how enjoyable this spotlight is."


Stay on top of Detroit news and views. Sign up for our weekly issue newsletter delivered each Wednesday.

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Detroit Metro Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Metro Times Press Club for as little as $5 a month.