If you recently paid Uncle John's Cider Mill in St. Johns to grab some its old fashioned apple cider you'll want to pay attention. The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development today issued a consumer advisory for the fall time drink produced there because of the potential of being contaminated with Shiga-toxin producing E. coli bacteria.
In other words, you should dispose of cider purchased from there immediately. A state food inspector collected a routine, random sample of the cider and found that it tested positive for the Shiga-toxin producing E. coli by the department’s Geagley Laboratory.
An estimated 1,200 gallons of cider produced on October 17 was affected, and was sold either in plastic jugs or individually by the cup at the mill between Oct. 18 and Oct. 21.
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at email@example.com.
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Detroit Metro Times Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Metro Times Press Club for as little as $5 a month.