Hamtramck's Aladdin Sweets and Cafe catches fire


  • Tom Perkins
Hamtramck Bangladeshi restaurant Aladdin Sweets and Cafe caught on fire this afternoon.

The fire started around 5:20 p.m., and firefighters appeared to have it contained to a vent running up the restaurant's exterior north wall by 5:40 p.m.

A commander on the scene told Metro Times that an investigation has to be conducted, but it appeared that there was a grease fire in the vent. There were no injuries, and the building likely only suffered smoke and water damage.

Aladdin is a staple in the Bangladeshi community, and well-loved by locals and the city's visitors. We'll update the story when we have more information.

  • Tom Perkins
  • Tom Perkins


So many restaurants, so little time. Find out the latest Detroit dining news with our weekly food newsletter delivered every Friday morning.

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Detroit Metro Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Metro Times Press Club for as little as $5 a month.