Update: Dr. Kevorkian's 'deathmobile' sold to noted ghost hunter

by

comment
COURTESY PHOTO
  • Courtesy photo
Updated 9:54 a.m., Monday, Aug. 31, 2015:

The van has been sold to Zak Bagans — star of Travel Channel's Ghost Adventures — for $32,500, according to the Detroit Free Press. Bagans told TMZ that he plans to use the vehicle for a "a paranormal project."



Originally posted Aug. 25, 2015:

Here's good news for car collectors with a morbid sensibility. Dr. Jack Kevorkian's "deathmobile" — aka a 1968 Volkswagen Microbus that the doctor used to drive around in the '90s as he performed controversial assisted suicides on the terminally ill — is officially for sale again.



The van was famously banned from eBay in 2010, but Les Gold, proprietor of American Jewelry & Loan and star of Tru TV's reality show Hardcore Pawn, managed to get his hands on it for $20,000.

Last time we checked in, someone had called "dibs" on the van and began paying for it on layaway. But according to a recent segment on WJBK Fox 2, the van is back on the market and Gold is selling the vehicle — which can be generously described as a "fixer-upper" — for the new price of $49,995.95.  

We called up Gold to ask about the price hike. He says when he originally purchased the van, he was willing to pay up to $40,000.

"We flipped a coin. If I were to have lost the bet, I would have given him $40,000 for the vehicle. Fortunately, I won, but I was willing to pay up to $40,000 for it," he says. "I figured if I'm willing to spend $40,000, somebody else should be willing to spend the same."

Gold says the previous buyer decided to bow out last year. "I just decided instead of keeping it, that somebody else should enjoy the vehicle," he says.

Since listing the item on his website, Gold says he's had some inquiries but no serious bites yet.

Watch the Fox 2 segment below:


We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.